From the moment she picked up the oars over 20 years ago, Marjorie fell in love with rowing, placing it first in an athletic line up that also included country skiing, running and biking. But worsening (and eventually debilitating) back pain caused by scoliosis, herniated discs and spinal stenosis first slowed her down, then kept her from the sport she loved. The summer she was forced to trade her seat in the boat for her recliner at home, Marjorie knew it was time to take action. Her surgical team at Buffalo General Medical Center prepared and guided her through major back surgery. With the skill of her highly-regarded surgeon and the help of her caregivers, friends, and families, Marjorie got back on the water, back in the race and back to her life as a teammate—making for one impressive comeback.
The Advanced Orthopaedic & Spine Center at Buffalo General Medical Center
Part of Buffalo General Medical Center, the Advanced Orthopaedic & Spine Center (AOSC) is one of the most unique hospital-based orthopaedic centers in New York State, anda destination of choice for spinal surgeries like Marjorie’s, as well as complex joint replacements, revisions and orthopaedic oncology.
Here, experts in orthopaedic care—from surgeons to nurses to therapists—deliver the knowledge, skill and experience that patients need from start to finish.
Orthopaedic care offered at the AOSC and Buffalo General include:
- Disc herniation surgery in the neck and lower back
- Laminectomy for spinal arthritis and stenosis
- Minimally invasive spine surgery
- Spinal fusion
- Complex reconstructive surgery for scoliosis and adult spinal deformities
- Total hip
- Total knee
- Total shoulder
- Hip and knee resurfacing
- Replacement of joint implants on:
- Minimally invasive procedures using small incisions to remove damaged ligaments or cartilage, performed on:
- Treatment of tumors throughout the musculoskeletal system, including:
- Active surveillance
The Advanced Orthopaedic & Spine Center was named a “High Performer” by U.S. News & World Report.